Sunday 1 February 2015

Coconut jam sandwich biscuits

  



There are few biscuits, in my opinion, that can compete with a good coconut biscuit.  There is something about the crumbly texture and subtle sunshine flavour that pleases me beyond words.  Team that crumbly, coconut flakiness with sticky, fruity jam and I am in biscuit nirvana!



You could, in theory, not sandwich the biscuits at all and leave them as they are.  My question to you though would be this: how on earth are you going to get away with eating two biscuits at a time with that kind of shoddy preparation?

Ready for oven....


....and baked:



The only time in preparing these biscuits is rolling the dough into balls and then rolling the balls in coconut.  I rather enjoyed this process – it gets quite repetitious and zen.  Because I am hopeless in uniformity I made a ball that pleased me then weighed it to ensure that all subsequent balls were the same size.  This may sound a bit extreme but I can assure you that, if I didn’t do this, the balls towards the end of the process would be double the size of those at the start – I can’t help myself.  Don’t they look pretty?




The biscuits have the soft, crumbly texture of a Viennese biscuit and would be lovely left as singles; however, if you do this I recommend adding some flavour to the biscuit be it vanilla or coconut extract.




Ingredients

200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
50g cornflour
150g plain flour
50g icing sugar
100g desiccated coconut
Optional: a couple of drops of coconut extract

To sandwich: jam (or nutella) of your choice


Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/fan oven 160C/350F/gas mark 4.

Line two baking sheets with baking paper or non-stick foil – you may have to bake the biscuits in batches and reuse these trays.

Mix together the butter, cornflour, plain flour, icing sugar and coconut extract until it comes together as a dough.

Take heaped teaspoons of the mix and roll into balls – I found a 15g ball of dough was the right size (I got 31 individual biscuits i.e. 15 1/2 when sandwiched).

Roll each ball in the desiccated coconut.

Place on the prepared baking sheet and flatten using a fork – space the biscuits out as they will expand as they bake.

Sprinkle a little extra coconut over the top to replace that displaced by the fork.

Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes until golden.

Leave on the baking tray to firm up for 10 minutes before removing from the tray and leaving to cool completely on a wire rack.

Match the biscuits in pairs.

Spread one biscuit with jam then sandwich with the other biscuit.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.

Eat.


16 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

These bisucits look perfect and delicious!!! Love them!!

Angie's Recipes said...

We are fans of anything coconut! These sandwiched biscuits look divine!

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

I too love a good coconut biscuit and I totally get the 2-biscuits-in-1 wisdom..... never for pigginess of course, just the necessity of the art form! Bet these would be delicious sandwiched with chocolate too!

Jo said...

I agree, why eat it as a single when you've been given the opportunity to eat two at a time! I think I would sandwich mine with raspberry jam :)

Katie said...

These have taken me right back to my childhood! My mum used to bake biscuits like this, only she rolled them in crushed cornflakes instead of coconut. Looks a delicious alternative

Jean said...

Marvellous!
What a glorious way to eat two biscuits at a time!

Kate said...

YUM! These remind me of being a little kid - coconut and jam is such a delicious combination.

Maggie said...

I believe we had something like these when I was a child.....lovely to see them again.

Cakeyboi said...

These sound light and look great. Bookmarked!

Unknown said...

Mmmm I'm thinking raspberry jam - because of course if there's an opportunity to eat 2 biscuits rather than one, why wouldn't you capitalise on it??

Snowy said...

Coconut biscuits - haven't had any for years, and double the pleasure with a jam filling. They look delicious.

Cakelaw said...

Yum! Simple and tasty.

Anonymous said...

I am on a February Forbidden Five: NO Toast, NO crisps, NO chocolate, NO bisuits and NO cake. I nearly , nearly broke it after seeing the picture of Coconut jam sandwich biscuits. I still could. I must forget it. But then how can I forget for Feb and then remember for March??

Choclette said...

Yes, yes, they do look pretty and I like your cunning plan - two for one ;)

anna @ annamayeveryday said...

These look crumbly and delectable and I love sticking them together so that you can eat two at a time, genius.

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

you had me at coconut! these sound seriously scrummy! oh man auto correct just changed that to scummy - so glad I caught that before I posted it telling you your biscuits looked scummy!!!!