Sunday 4 May 2008

What the Caked Crusader chose to bake to this week (3 May 2008)

Mellow music seemed to be fitting for baking this week and they don’t come much more mellow than Jim Ferguson, a man so laid back that you wonder how he can stand upright to hold onto his double bass!

I can’t think of any other singing double bass players (we’re talking proper bass here, not those silly electric things that look like guitars) which is a pity because it seems to be a good combination. Jim’s influences are a mix of the great American songbook and Mose Allison (I love the line on Wikipedia that calls Mose the “William Faulkner of jazz” as I’m a massive Faulkner fan too! Funny how all one’s likes often join together in a chain).

Apart from making great music Jim Ferguson is also a nice man. How do I know this? I emailed a question via his website expecting to get a record company minion’s response but in fact got a warm and lovely email from the man himself!

You can’t go wrong with any of his releases, but the pick for me is Not Just Another Pretty Bass.

No comments: